Thursday, April 22, 2010

REFLECTION #15-The Last One

What:
This week we arrived at our computer class to a little surprise-no using the computers. I have to say, I really don't like virus's, any kind but especially the computer kind. It worked out okay though. We spent about 30 minutes receiving instruction on our final assignment for the class. We will be creating a newsletter, a flyer or a brochure and we will be choosing two of the three.

So What:
I have actually had to create flyers many times. Ive used them to announce different things. I've made flyers announcing scouting activities, church activities, and even birthday parties. A few months back I made a flyer for the school carnival. It contained information on the carnival, like where it was and what time it was at and the cost. Then at the bottom there was a portion that could be torn off and sent back to school with the student. Knowing how to create a flier comes in really handy for things like this.

I've also made newletters in the past and they are definately more work that flyers are. I think knowing how to find and use a template would make it so much easier. The first time I went through college at the U of U, I was in a group that made the newsletter for a sorority and it was a lot of work. It took us a long time, particularly the first time, to get the format all set up how we wanted it. It was worth it though, because it is nice to be able to hand out a newsletter to everyone with announcements, info, recaps of things that have happened, special events and other things. Everyone liked looking at the newsletter. I think I could use newsletters for other things in my life right now too, like my sons' soccer team could have a newsletter, or we could have a newsletter at church. There are many different possibilities.

Now what:
There is no doubt, that teachers make flyers all of the time. Knowing how to make a flyer will be an invaluable tool for me as a teacher. I know that I will have to send home flyers announcing school activities, field trips, upcoming events and reminders. To be able to have a template or a master copy already made and just have to change information and graphics will make it much quicker of a project, and that is something that teachers always need.

It would also be fun to have a class newsletter. Parents like to know what is happening in their childs class. A newsletter can highlight things happening in class, give important dates to remember, congratulate students on accomplishments, and even provide some humor. I also think that a class blog would be fun but I don't know if I would want to do both. You would almost have to have the newsletter, for parents who don't have access to a computer. I guess you could put the newsletter on the blog, too. That is something I would have to think about.

I don't think that I would use a brochure that often. It provides more detailed information on one subject matter, I don't know what subject would require that much information that it would take a whole brochure. The thing I can think of right now is the summer camp that the 5th graders go on. That might have enough information to fill a whole brochure. It will be interesting to see some of my classmates final projects to see what information they put in a brochure.

Video:
I loved the 70's video! I'm sure that no student now is going to know who The Monkeys or Chubby Checker is, but it was still a great video. I think it did a great job describing what a noun is. One of the things that I've learned from these videos that we've had to watch, is that they are great supplementary tools for teachers. I wouldn't use just this video to teach nouns. I think it could be used as part of an introduction to nouns, or I think it could be used as a reward or a final part of the unit. It is funny and it makes you smile. Kids like that and if they are learning a little something too, that is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment