WHAT:
In class we continued our introduction to Google. We talked about spreadsheets and their many uses. We learned how to create a form and we learned how to use Google Presentation to create a slide show.
SO WHAT:
I like the spread sheet option. I used Excel quite a bit just in my everyday life. I use it to track expenses, and income and balance my check book. What's great is that Google spreadsheet is just like Excel. I can use formulas, I can keep track of things from year to year and compare them, and Google spread sheet has that same benefit as Google doc in that it can be brought up on any computer. I can see how this feature, like Google Calendar, could help keep my family up to date.
The Google presentation feature is very cool and a little overwhelming for me. I haven't ever made a power point so I was a little nervous. However, I really like it and I as I learn more about how to use it, I think it will really be a benefit to me. I could see how it could help in preparing school assignments or presentations. It would be great if I had to give a presentation at work. It would even help if I had to give some kind of presentation at church. I'm thinking maybe I'll even make a presentation of rules for my kids. When they are misbehaving I can say, "Hey! Go watch the rules slide show." :) The one thing I don't really understand, is how to run the slide show, so a large group could view it. I guess you would have to have some kind of connection.
NOW WHAT:
Hopefully, my classroom would have that kind of a connection. That way, when I prepared a presentation on my computer, I could then have it viewed on a screen up in front of the class. If it did have that capability, I think I would use Google Presentation quite a bit in my classroom. I could teach new subjects with it. I could use it for reminders, or schedules of the day. I could even teach the students how to make their own presentation. It would be so easy for them to start a project at school, work on it at home, and show me the finished product at school. Because it is on the internet, there is no need for saving things, or transferring information. I think it is fantastic that everything you do is just there and ready to be edited at your convenience. This and Google Doc would be great tools to use in any classroom.
Using the spreadsheet feature is really handy as well. As a teacher I could use it to keep track of grades and track progress. I could use it to keep information handy. It would be great because you could have information for every student on one page, or one page for each student with different information. If all of the teachers in the school were willing to use it, then we could track student progress from year to year as well.
I think the form feature is a good feature, but I would have to play with it a little more to decide whether I would use it more or not. Teachers send home forms all of the time for students, so I know it could be really handy. If you had a lot of tech savvy parents who were willing to get on a computer and fill out a form then that would be great. Most probably would be fine with it. I anticiapte that some parents would prefer the old-fasion way. But I do love that the option is there, and I also love that using it would save trees!
VIDEO:
I loved this weeks video, I am what I learn! The filming was so creative. It really kept me watching, to see what the kid was going to do next, as he walked through the house and signed things. I loved when he took a drink and told the kid to get 'get out of here'. He was very confident and sure of himself, and he had a great attitude. Not only was the filming idea great, but his message was wonderful. I like how he talked about how careers in the arts (like film directing) and sports need an education as well. I think a lot of times kids think some kinds of jobs don't require an education. I think this movie reminds us that no matter what dream you have or what career you are choosing, you should seek an education first. That getting a good education will only help you on your way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment