Saturday, January 30, 2010

REFLECTION #4

WHAT:
This week in class we started learning about UEN and some of the features that it provides for teachers and students. We created a UEN account and started a personal and a public page.

SO WHAT:
To be honest, I'm still a little unsure how UEN will be a benefit to me in my life. I know that on the main website you can do searches. I know that there is access to distance education, which I did use last semester, but it was from the TV channel and not the website. I am sure that there are many more uses that would be a benefit for me, and I'm hoping that when we continue this subject next week in class and as I use the website, that I will learn more about the benefits.

NOW WHAT:
The one thing that I think is really cool that I learned this week in class, is how a teacher can use UEN to have students do research for projects. I think it is a great idea, to be able to give a topic that has to be researched, and then give a safe place for students to search for information. As a teacher, I can see how that could be really useful. It could be used for projects and research papers. Parents would love the idea of having a safe place for their students to do searches, and may feel more comfortable knowing that their student is on a safe website.

I look forward, this week, to finding out more about the positive uses of UEN, and how it will benefit me as a teacher.

VIDEO:
I watched President Obamas speech back in September, and watching it again this week, I have the same reaction. I'm sure that there was probably some political agenda involved in some way, but regardless, I think he gave a great speech. I think it was uplifting and positive, which every student needs to hear. I thought it was great how he encouraged students to take responsibility for themselves. I think, whatever your political opinion, that it is important to listen to the President, and teach students to be respectful of the office, and I think it is just as important for the President to show respect to the students. He did a good thing by motivating them and telling them that he cares about them and that he expects them to do good things. By speaking to students he showed that he believes education is important, and that can only be good for our country, our teachers and our students.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great description...I enjoyed reading it. Although I enjoy your postings for the most part, I need to get a bit more from you with each posting. You need to have about 3-4 sentences for What? You need to have 2 paragraphs for So What? and 2 paragraphs for Now What? plus 1 paragraph for the video. The posting was somewhat shallow and therefore that is reflected in the grade you earned.

    I enjoyed reading about you catching the spirit of discovery! I look forward to introducing you to new tools weekly.

    ReplyDelete