Sunday, February 14, 2010

REFLECTION #6

INTERNET SAFETY

The internet is really a must in educating children today. There are so many great things about the internet, and I think that not using the internet would put students at a disadvantage. Using the internet gives us access to more information than we can ever use. It's true that some information is unnecessary and even harmful, but there is so much that is good. It brings another dimension to teaching and to learning. Research is at our fingertips. Games and activities allow students to practice the things they learn in the classroom. Communication like email allow us to learn about other cultures and to speak to people around the world. The internet opens up the world to us, in a way that books can't. The benefits are endless, as long as we are aware of the risks.

Whether students use the internet at school or not, it is almost certain that they will use it at home. That is why it is so important, as teachers, that we educate are students on the importance of being safe on the internet. I think that we as educators must learn how to recognize and use good websites, and then pass that information on to our students, so that students can make wise choices as well. When I come across a website that I am unfamiliar with I ask myself the following questions before I decide to use the information I find there.

-Who is the sponsor of this website? How did I link to it? Is it easy to find again?
-What is the URL? Are there any red flags? Is it a personal website?
-How does the information make me feel? Do I doubt anything that I'm reading?
-Are there too many advertisements? What are the advertisements?
-Is the website secure? Do I see a lock symbol on the bottom of the page?

If I have any doubts when I think of these questions, then I choose not to use the website. If the website passes my scrutiny, then I feel confident that I can recommend it to my students. I will encourage students to ask themselves these same questions as they surf the internet. If they know the reasons why they need to be careful, and then they know how to be careful, they will be armed with the ability to make good choices. I will also encourage them to always follow rules that are set by their parents and by the school, and to always ask questions if they are unsure. After they have been taught, I believe they will be ready to use the internet safely.

Video:
This week I watched the video Internet Safety Movie. I believe it was made by 7th grade students, and if that is the case then I think they did a really good job. I like how they had taken the pictures of kids on the computer and I liked how they presented the information. I think that they touched on the important things when it comes to internet safety. They came up with good rules that, when followed, would keep them and others safe on the internet. What I really learned from this video though, is that it is a great idea to have students research internet safety and do some kind of project on it. When they present the information, rather than just listening to a teacher lecture on it, they learn more and are more apt to remember the information. I think that assigning a project like that has great value for the student.

No comments:

Post a Comment