Digital Cameras
What:
This week we talked about using digital cameras in the classroom. We had the opportunity, as a team, to use digital cameras to take pictures of a subject that we could teach in our classroom. We also read some articles and searched for websites about digital camera use in the classroom.
So What:
There are so many great things about digital cameras, and not just for educators. First, they are so easy to use. After making sure that you have a full battery and a memory card, all you have to do is point and shoot. One of my favorite things about digital cameras is that you can take as many pictures as your memory card will hold. When I had a 35mm camera, I was always having to be careful about how much film I had and be careful that I wasn't going to run out. Not a problem with digital cameras! I can take as many pictures of the elephants at the zoo (or whatever) as I want to, and if I do fill my memory card up I can insert another, or quickly go through and delete a few picutes that I might not want. It's great!
As a parent, I use digital cameras all the time to document the lives of my family. I also use a digital camera to entertain my kids. When they are bored at a soccer game or something, I give them the camera and they take pictures of trees, their feet, the head of a guy 20 feet away, whatever. It doesn't matter, because I just delete it later. No film wasted, and a few minutes of peace and quiet. I love it! As a student and future teacher, there are many things that I can do when it comes to digital cameras. I can start to learn about programs that are available for editing photos. I can research more ways that teachers have used digital cameras and start to keep a list of ideas, websites or links. I can keep a record on my UEN so that I will always have access to it. I can start taking pictures when I travel, or when I see something that I think might be interesting or educational for future students. I can carry the camera with me all the time so when the opportunity comes, I am ready.
Now What:
As a teacher, I know that I will use a digital camera in my classroom. I always thought that I would because it it so easy to use and kids love to see pictures of themselves and their class. The thing I've learned, is that there are so many ways to use a digital camera. More than just documenting fun things that happened, which is what I would have used it for. Now I know that the possibilities are endless when it comes to using a digital camera. I love the idea of using a camera to make books, power points, posters, etc. If I am teaching a subject like addition I could use pictures that I've taken as a center where students would count objects in the picture and add them to the same object in another. I also think it would be fun to have reward centers or fast finisher activities like making a 'Where's Waldo' or 'Where's _______' (whatever) book. As a teacher, I think I would love to let students use digital cameras to make projects, plays, or take pictures for other things.
I would love to be able to share photos with other teachers and have them share with me as well. Especially, if we discussed at the beginning of the year, or in meeting, a topic that we might be going to teach. All teachers could be on the lookout for photo opportunities that would help teach that topic. We could share the photos, and all the students in that grade level would get to see the same photos as they learned that unit. Digital camera use is another great way for teachers to work together.
The one concern that I do have, and I guess I would have to research it, is privacy or confidentialilty rules. I do wonder if it is okay to have pictures of students. I know that at the beginning of the year I have to give permission for my kids to have their picture used in certain situations at school. The principal or district would probably be able to tell me what the regulations are if there are any. I guess I would just have to be cautious of that and ask questions if I was worried.
Video:
Was the point of the videos to see what you can do with digital cameras?
The videos were pretty entertaining. I think that the point of watching them was to show that through editing you can make some fun projects. Like the David Letterman one, I really thought we were going to watch David Letterman. Then it switched to someone else's video clip. It was cool how they kept switching back and forth from Letterman to their own homemade top 10 list. Plus it was kind of funny. I liked the one about wipes becoming your best friend. As far as the 'Mashup' video goes, it was entertaining but a little overwhelming. I liked how they used the different windows so you were seeing 4 or 5 or more different people playing at the same time. Honestly though, it just made me feel overwhelmed. The thought of creating a project like that is overwhelming because I don't know how. It will be fun to learn how to do stuff like that. Perhaps with practice and a lesson or two I'll be able to edit cool things with a digital camera, too. Who knows?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment