Sunday, March 14, 2010

REFLECTION #10

Kidspiration

What:
This week in class we learned about the features of Kidspiration. We talked about ways that we could use it in the classroom, and we spent time working with the mind map feature.

So What:
What does Kidspiration mean to me now, as a student and as a parent? To be honest, I'm not sure that it means much. I guess, the knowledge that it is there and available is probably the most important thing that I can take from it. I am really glad to have learned about it, because I think that as a teacher, if I had access to it, I would use it. As a student now, I don't think that I would use it for anything or be willing to put forth the money to purchase the software. As a parent, if I had a struggling child and thought that maybe the program could help him at home, I might consider purchasing it. But, I would have to see that it would have benefits for my student, on a home basis. I can see that it would definately have great benefits at school. I also would have to spend some more time on it to really make an informed decision.

Now What:
Kidspiration is a great tool for teachers. There are so many things that could be done with it. The possibilities are endless. It is a great thing especially for visual learners, who need to see things before they connect them. Those students who need to see something organized so that they can process the information would really benefit from this program. If teachers could have access to it in the classroom, it would be great. I don't know how readily available it would be. I do think that the cost might be one obstacle that might have to be overcome. If that could be worked out, though, it would be great.

As a teacher, I could use this program to create lesson plans. I could use the mind map to outline what I want to teach, with the main point of the lesson, or objective from the curriculum, and then I could outline all the ways that I will teach that lesson. I could use Kidspiration as a teaching tool. If we were reading a book we could develop characters, and see how they were related, or talk about themes of the book and how they were related. We could use the mind map to show the relationship. I think it would be really fun, too, if we had access to it in the classroom, it could be a reward activity for fast finishers, or for those who are doing what they are supposed to do. It would also be fun for the students to be able to work on a project in such a fun way. They have reports and assignments that they have to do, and they always have to use paper and pencil, but what a great idea, to use Kidspiration for those students. They would enjoy the assingment more, and may get more out of it from being able to do it differently. Also, for those students who have some kind of special need, Kidspiration is a great form of differentiated instruction. I can see so many possibilities with it.

Video:
Per Doc Waters-no video this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment