What:
This week in class we talked about our assignment, to create a power point activity. I must admit, I was a bit confused by what we are doing. I think I understand now that we are creating a technical document on how to use power point for elementary age students. I hope I'm right.
So What:
So..... I don't know. I haven't really had a lot of experience with power point. The first time I went through college we didn't use power point (Yes, I'm old) and since then, I haven't had a need for it. I know that I could use it for class presentations, or to do any other kind of presentations, in my job, or anything else. Other people have told me that it is very easy to use and that there are fun options that can be done with it. I actually was kind of looking forward to doing the Power Point activity so that I could get some experience with it.
When the assignment was changed I was a little disappointed. I do think it is a great idea. I mean, we do want to be teachers, and that is why we are at school, so we should have to learn how to teach students. I just am nervous about the technical writing part of it. I really don't have any experience with technical writing, and I'm worried that what I write won't make sense or professionally won't be correct. I am glad that this is a team assignment so that we can help each other on it, but I think it would have been easier to stick with just doing the Power Point activity. I know, I know, we don't always get to do what we want, or what is easy. I'm sure I'll be telling my students that all the time when I am a teacher, so I'll just stop whining and be positive. I can do it!
Now What:
As a teacher, I'm quite certain that my students will be using Power Point. Really, it is a necessity that they learn how to use this program. If they can get the experience while they are young, doing school projects and reports, it will help them in the future with college or in a professional career. It will be up to me and my colleagues at the school to help teach students how to use this program along with other computer programs. The more experience that I have, the better able I will be to teach others. Which means, that I am going to have to get some experience using Power Point.
I think the assignment, to write the Power Point activity, will help me prepare to be able to teach students. Even though I'm feeling uncertain about it, I know that once it is done I will be better prepared to teach a Power Point activity. I will not feel so much concern because I will have had some experience. One added benefit, is learning to give instruction in a different way. Teachers always give verbal instruction, and really they have to, but some children learn better visually, and if they can see the instructions written out for them and can follow along they may do better on an assignment. Anything that will help me to be a better teacher, I'm willing to do, so with this assignment, I can only do my best and learn from it, so.... that's what I'll do.
Video:
The video this week Do You Believe in Me was one that I already watched. It was the video, I think, for the introduction week. With the cute kid who stood up in front of the big crowd of people and gave his speech. You can see blog entry #1 for my reflections.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment